March 1, 2010

Yes, I am one too

Well...
I took my first mid-term in the testing center since returning from my mission a little over a week ago. Instead of handing you your result on a little piece of paper after your answer sheet has been scanned, it comes up on a monitor outside of the testing center next to the last few digits of your ID number...well no one told me this! After I had turned in my answer sheet they didn't hand me the paper. I had remembered seeing the monitor outside and decided to go check it out. There were a few guys who had just finished right before me who were standing in front of it as well just talking. There I glanced up at it quickly and couldn't figure out what was going on up there so I decided to back inside the testing center and ask...the door was locked because the center would be closing in less than an hour. When I tried to open it, I pulled a little too hard, losing my balance in the process and kind of stumbled back. The guys looked over at me and I just gave them a smile and a nervous laugh. I went back to trying to decipher what I was looking at up at the monitor but didn't know what was going on. So I (already a little embarrassed at this point) leaned to the closest guy and asked "how do you read the answers up there?" My question sounded legit in my head but my word usage was trippy when it came out. It took the guy a few seconds to process what I was intending to ask and then he replied, "oh, you mean you want to know your result?" I just nodded realizing at that point what I had asked him and then he proceeded to explain to me in very simple words, using lots of hand motions, how to read the test result monitor. I think he got the impression I didn't know English very well ( I wonder why). After he was done I just smiled and nodded, already too embarrassed by the whole situation to say anything. What makes this story even better was at around that same moment, a girl I know walked by and asked how I did. I had been staring at the monitor so it took me a few seconds to realize someone else was talking to me. When I looked at her she just gave me a "thumbs up" and asked "did good?" I just smiled and gave her a thumbs up. The idea of me lacking English skills was definitely reinforced.
Looking on the brighter side: I scored 97% on my midterm! (yes, that was my score I was looking at)
Too bad those guys were cute....

1 comment: